Monday, March 1, 2010

Giving Back

Hello all,

As many of you know I'm currently taking a Sexual Development class, which has become one of my favorite classes of all time.  In the class we talk literally about sex and all the things that come along with it(i.e. disease, history, pregnancy) One of the topics that we had guest speakers on was AIDS and HIV.

During the class we of course learned all the statistics of the epidemic and what it entails.  They talked about the four ways the disease can be transmitted along with how people can cope with it.  They told us that over a hundred new cases are diagnosed in Nebraska every year, which I believe is too high and people need to be more aware of what they are doing.  I have decided that I want to do my part for the community so, I have come to the conclusion that I'm going to start volunteering for the Nebraska AIDS Project.

It's a state wide clinic that offers testing, therapy, and does numerous awareness projects.  I'm really looking forward to this!  A friend and myself are going to start sometime this month. It's going to be quite interesting.  They haven't told us yet what exactly we will be doing but, I'm up for whatever they throw our way!  Even though my schedule is hectic as is, I feel that this will be really good for me.  Help me appreciate the life I've been blessed with.  I can actually see myself possibly working for an organization such as this after I graduate. At least that is the plan. 

So, once I start, I will be doing updates, via blogs and facebook, to let everyone know when there will be any up and coming events so that "everyone" can show their support and help shine a light on this problem! 

Until next time!!

2 comments:

  1. Thank you dearest!

    P.S. I miss you dearly! I think that I might have to drag my ass down to Lincoln in the near future.

    ReplyDelete